Gloomhaven is a game of Euro-inspired tactical combat in a persistent world of shifting motives. Players will take on the role of a wandering adventurer with their own special set of skills and their own reasons for travelling to this dark corner of the world. Players must work together out of necessity to clear out menacing dungeons and forgotten ruins. In the process they will enhance their abilities with experience and loot, discover new locations to explore and plunder, and expand an ever-branching story fuelled by the decisions they make.
This is a legacy game with a persistent and changing world that is ideally played over many game sessions. After a scenario, players will make decisions on what to do, which will determine how the story continues, kind of like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book. Playing through a scenario is a cooperative affair where players will fight against automated monsters using an innovative card system to determine the order of play and what a player does on their turn.
Essentially, every turn a player will play two cards out of their hand. Each card has a number at the top, and the number on the first card played will determine their initiative order. Each card also has a top and bottom power, and when it is a player's turn in the initiative order, they determine whether to use the top power of one card and the bottom power of the other, or vice-versa. Players must be careful, though, because over time they will permanently lose cards from their hands. If they take too long to clear a dungeon, they may end up exhausted and be forced to retreat.
- 12+5 Thematic Hero Classes: Each with a detailed 32mm plastic miniature, character mat with wooden trackers and their own deck of around 30 unique ability cards.
- 30 Double-sided Interlocking Map Tiles: With 70 overlay tiles that accommodate a book of over 70 scenarios across 4 different environments.
- 45 Different Enemy Types, Including 12 Challenging Bosses: Each with their own set of standees, stat cards and ability card decks.
- Over 300 Attack Modifier Cards: Including 5 decks of 20 basic cards, additional class-specific cards and cards added through status effects.
- Over 150 tokens: To track status effects, gold, monster damage, experience and special abilities.
- 6x Wooden Element Tokens & Element Tracks
- 200x Item Cards
- 20+4x Career Goal Cards
- 20+4x Battle Goal Cards
- 90x City and Road Event Cards
- 12+5x Character Sheet Pads
- 1x Party Sheet Pad
- 1x Rulebook
- An Interactive Map Board with Sticker Sheets
- Printed materials are supplied in English